Cardinal and Poinsettia Embroidery Hoop Christmas Ornament Tutorial
Hello Paper Crafters!
Here is my first Christmas project for you. I have always liked the idea of using an embroidery hoop to make a Christmas Ornament. Cardinals are one of my favorite birds and I love Poinsettias for Christmas. So, I combined the Toile Christmas and Poinsettia Petals stamp sets and coordinating dies to make this ornament with classic red and green Christmas colors. I also incorporated a piece of Feels Like Frost DSP. The reds really pop against the blue and white DSP.
Recipe: Paper. Images. Embellishments.
Embroidery Hoop Christmas Ornament
Paper: Real Red, Cherry Cobbler, Pumpkin Pie & Shaded Spruce Card Stock, Feels Like Frost DSP
Images: Toile Christmas and Poinsettia Petals stamp sets, Poinsettia and Christmas Cardinal dies, Memento Pad, Crumb Cake (Lt.) Stampin’ Blends, Stampin’ Cut & Emboss Machine
Embellishments: Gold Foil, Real Red Braided Linen Trim, Real Red Sheer Ribbon
Extras: 4” Embroidery Hoop, Hot Glue, Folk Art Bright Gold Acrylic Paint, Fine Paint Brush, VersaMark Pad, White Embossing Powder, Heat Tool, Multipurpose Liquid Glue, Mini Glue Dots, Stamparatus
Cut your pieces.
- Position the embroidery hoop on the DSP in the desired location and trace around the hoop. Cut out the circle.
- Poinsettia: Use the smaller flower with the nesting embossing die and cut 2 from the Cherry Cobbler CS.
- Gold Foil: Cut 1 of the flower centers from the Gold Foil.
- Real Red Sheer Ribbon: 20”
- Real Red Braided Lined Trim: 10”
Stamp your images.
- Cardinal: Stamp the cardinal onto Real Red CS with Memento ink. I used my Stamparatus because the cardinal needs to be stamped twice to get a good image. Use the die to cut out.
- Branch & Leaves: Stamp 1 branch, 1 larger leaf and 2 smaller leaves onto Shaded Spruce CS with Memento ink. Use dies to cut out.
- Sentiment: Stamp the sentiment onto Real Red CS with VersaMark ink. Sprinkle with White Embossing Powder and heat emboss. Use the die to cut out.
- Beak: Stamp the head of the cardinal onto a scrap of Pumpkin Pie CS. Fussy cut the beak and color with the Crumb Cake Stampin’ Blends to tone the color down a bit. Use a little Multipurpose Glue to attach to the cardinal.
Putting it all together.
- Use Multipurpose Liquid Glue to attach the DSP to the back of the hoop.
- Paint the embossed veins with watered down gold paint. Use Mini Glue Dots to put the flower together.
- Attach the pieces to the hoop with Mini Glue Dots.
- Loop the trim around the screw and tie. Place the knot in the space between the screw and the hoop. Use a little hot glue to glue in place.
- Tie a double bow with the sheer ribbon. Attach to the hoop with hot glue.
Check it out!
- Annual Catalog & Beginner Catalog & August-December Mini Catalog
- Best Deal in the catalog? View it here.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel Easy as PIE Stamping
- Follow me on Pinterest for tons of inspiration.
- Sign up for my weekly newsletter in the sign-up box – top right (or at the bottom on mobile). You will receive 4 exclusive project tutorials each month.
My project supply list for Embroidery Hoop Christmas Ornament
Click products to shop online!
Visit My SHOP!!
I invite you to order your paper crafting products from my online store.
As a small business owner, I appreciate your support of my business.
I would be honored to be your personal Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator!!
When placing an order in September use host code and receive a gift from me.
Please join me every week as I share projects using Stampin’ Up! products.
We will have so much fun!